At Kiwi Hawthorn Junior Rugby, we’re all about having fun, making new friends and enjoying the great game of Rugby Union.
Why play rugby?
Our overarching philosophy is that rugby is about having fun and building character.
Of course the kids come because:
- it’s easy to learn and great fun to play
- they enjoy making new friends
- rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes
- they get plenty of game time, because we have small teams and everyone gets a go
But parents love our club too because we all agree that sport is a trojan horse that gets some great life lessons into kids without the lecture. Our boys and girls learn that in rugby, like in life:
- everyone has more fun if we all play fairly
- respect the referee and abide by his/her judgements
- everyone, regardless of their size, shape or background, is vital to the success of the team
- teams can accomplish so much more than individuals
- play for the success of your teammates as much as yourself
- sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, what matters most is the spirit in which you play the game
- you are going to get knocked over, but you can get up and play on
More details about this year’s program available here.
Our pre-season Come n Try sessions will run Tuesday nights in March and are the perfect way to try out our great international game or hone your skills before the start of a new season.
Our Juniors Program is led by Mark Russell, ably supported by a wonderful team of parent volunteers.
What families say about junior rugby at Kiwi Hawthorn
With thanks to so many Mums and Dads who have taken the time to provide their feedback on our growing rugby club here.
Kiwi Hawthorn Rugby Union Football Club Inc. is the only rugby club that is a combination of two of the great powerhouses of world rugby: New Zealand and Australia.
New Zealand servicemen formed the Kiwi Club in 1923, while the Old Scotch Rugby Club was started in the 1950s by old boys of the school. Old Scotch later became known as the Hawthorn Rugby Club and merged with the Kiwi Club in 1987 to become the Kiwi Hawthorn Rugby Club.
Our club is a proud celebration of the close ties that have long existed between Australia and New Zealand, but we warmly welcome all nationalities that now make up the multicultural world rugby community.